RE: ORDER BY ..

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 08:15:43 -0400

I was away on an Oracle8i course for a week, and when I came back there = were
over 600 messages on this list. I didn't take time to carefully read = the
joke thread, you can imagine why.

Flaming does not, in my opinion, add anything to the list. Especially = if the
humour is at other people's expense. There is enough traffic on the = list as
it is, without padding it. Sometimes it is busier than others (e.g. September was a bit slow), but things are picking up again. =20

Writing in capital letters is like shouting in e-mails, it looked like = a
flame to me and I reacted accordingly.

I have been on this list for over a year, I have no problems with = spending
time on this list. I see it as a useful resource regarding Oracle administration.

Setting sort_area_size is probably right, but usually Oracle recommends tuning database design, tuning SQL, then tuning memory, then I/O, then contention. Did anyone ask her to verify in her stats whether disk = sorts
were taking place, before increasing the size of her SGA?

I started with the SQL because I can't see the db design, and sometimes = if
it's designed improperly there is not much you can do by the time it = lands
on your lap.

So that one e-mail generated at least five more, so far. For what = purpose?

Probably I could have left it alone, and let Jared decide whether to intervene.

Todd, if you didn't mean it as a flame, I apologize, but please = remember
that some people rely on the list during work hours.

Satar you did get the spelling right, it's a male French name.

I think maybe from now on I will just ignore the jokes. Too bad I = can't set
my in-box assistant to delete them all automatically.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des syst=E8mes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique=20
Maritimes Region, DFO      | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO

E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>=20