Re: Change Server Name on NT Box (how to)

From: Michael Ray <Michael.Ray_at_trw.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 07:15:02 -0800

Gary,
If you use local naming, you will need to change the tnsnames.ora file on = all the clients. If you use Oracle Names, then you simply change it on the = names server(s). These 2 options tell the client where it finds the = listener to make the connection. Since the listener machines names will be = different, they will not be able to find it anymore. The listener then = decides where the instance is, which you've already noticed from the = listener.ora file.

One other thing you may wish to consider if your environment will allow it = is to use the IP address rather than machine name. Then you wouldn't have = had this problem. It is also slightly more efficient since it removes the = DNS server from the equation. We normally use DHCP here but use static IPs = on the servers.

Michael Ray
Oracle DBA
TRW, Marshall, IL
217-826-3011 x2438

>>> gnorwell_at_hybridturkeys.com 11/08/00 08:50AM >>>
I recently installed an Oracle 8i database on an NT box previously=20 used for another application. No problems, other than our network=20 admin now wants me to change the name of the NT box.

I did a quick check and noted that the current name of the NT=20 machine is part of the listener control file. From an Oracle=20 perspective, it appears that I have to modify the listener parameters=20 to reflect the new machine name, but what other considerations (if=20 any) are there to consider before implementing this change?

Gary Norwell, Database Developer
Hybrid Turkeys a Division of Nutreco Canada Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 09:15:02 CST