Is Automated Recovery Possible?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:33:34 -0500

Hi,

We've got a test database (O8.0.5 on HP/UX 10.20) that is created nightly from a Production hotbackup. As you might guess, recovery is necessary to rebuild control files and redo logs. The problem is how to do the recovery automatically and consistently.

The procedure I've created (and am using) recovers a single archived log
("RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL CANCEL") and opens the
instance. While this works fine most of the time, it's not working more often these days. The test database isn't opened, and our early-AM users
(who get into work hours before us DBAs do) complain.

I've thought about doing a point-in-time recovery, but a few tests haven't been successful. I've attempted to recover the database to about one hour after the hot backup was completed, but I keep getting an error like "recovery was successful, but datafile # needs more recovery to be consistent". Of course, I can't find the ORA- numbers to go with the errors, and it's been a few days since I've been able to attempt the recovery manually.

Has anyone done an automated recovery like this? How?

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
rjesse_at_qtiworld.com                 Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan VirusWall. Received on Wed Jun 07 2000 - 12:33:34 CDT