Re: Is Automated Recovery Possible?

From: Chris Royce <Chris_at_Royce.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 14:54:28 -0400

Rich,

    I have successfully automated refreshes from 'COLD' backups -- BUT -- as you have experienced -=- from a 'HOT' is unpredictable as you can not control logging during the "HOT'. You might want to reevaluate the rationale of a daily refreshed test environment. In our environment, on the other hand, our developers have convinced management that 10 copies of production are required for them to 'do their thing'. Consequently, I take a 'COLD' backup on Sundays and then propagate as required or requested. I automate this (mostly) although there are some exceptions where different objects etc. are required for some development environments. Might consider some variation of managed standby database - although you would still need a 'COLD' to create the initial standby.

    Best of luck. I would be interested to hear if you achieve your goal. I will continue to experiment myself and publish the results.

Regards,

Chris Royce