Re: Your frank opinion

From: guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 23:04:21 +0100

Deepak Sharma wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Absolutely true. Knowledge is what we get paid for.
> This has been my experience too regd the work I have
> been doing, (esp. Physical DBA).

Ah, but we're not really paid for knowledge. Consider: everything I know about Oracle (and a whole lot more besides) you can get for the price of downloading Adobe Acrobat, then registering on Oracle Technology Network. While it is true that it is possible to make a living as a "walking encyclopedia", our value is that we can take knowledge of the technology, and the business scenario, and combine them into a solution. Latter day alchemists, if you please :0)

When I was a kid at school, you could earn gold stars on the chart on the wall (this was a long time ago... ) by standing in front of the class and reciting a multiplication table. Even back then, I never bothered to memorize them, like the other kids did: I'd just work them out whenever I needed to. And nowadays, I'd be hard pressed to describe some of the more obscure SQL syntax, but I can just look that up. Our skill is knowing what can be done, then reducing it to what should be done. Oh, and knowing how to post to this list ;0)

guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com> | One is punished for being
Technology Analysis & Consulting  | weak, not for being cruel.
07879607148 http://www.agency.com |       -- Baudelaire