Re: utl_file_dir in RAC

From: Ronald Rood <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:49:33 +0200

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 02:42:57 +0200, Bill Manry wrote (in article <suto22harg4tjpe2bfahoj6uq1l956l3ik_at_4ax.com>):

> On 30 Mar 2006 10:54:44 -0800, "dr" <drchingon_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> is the utl_file_dir parameter required to be identical for all
>> nodes(instances, 1 per) in a RAC cluster?

> Nope. But having it vary by instance might be in conflict with
> various RAC features such as load balancing and failover. As others
> pointed out, utl_file_dir is obsolescent, and database directory
> objects are the preferred control for utl_file and other features.
> Since they reside in the database, directory objects are the same on
> all RAC instances.

external tables behave funny on RAC anyway. On one node (a) put the file in place, on the other[s] not. As long as your first access is from the node that has the file (a) all instances will be able to load the data. The other way around is also true (try to acces from an other node (fails) all other accesses will fail. I tested this while checking parallelism during loads. It would have been a nice feature when all instances could have their own data files for the external table and load them all together in parallel. At least in 9i this works a little different.

--
With kind regards / met vriendelijke groeten,
Ronald

http://ciber.nl
http://homepage.mac.com/ik_zelf/oracle