Re: 10gR2 is out for x86 Solaris

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 29 Mar 2006 13:58:38 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:
> I did a number of implementations on OS X with Oracle 10.1.0.3. It was
> the best possible RAC implementation given that OS X is an incredibly
> good operating system, the Apple servers and storage blazingly fast,
> and the prices far below equivalent hardware from Dell, HP, IBM, or Sun.
>
> That said ... the fact that Apple has not stepped up to the plate and
> supported Oracle with 10gR2 (or so it appears) or worked with Oracle
> to move the Application Server to their platform renders it a great
> promise, as yet, undelivered.

It doesn't look to me as if patchsets or patches for os x for 10.1.0.3 are available either as of yet.

Mr. Morgan as I recall was recommending the setup he describes above as production ready.

> If I had available, in a timely manner, 10gR2 and the AppServer running
> on OS X ... I'd have little reason to touch AIX, HP/UX, Linux, or
> Solaris again.

Are you talking for testing purposes or real production systems with timely support?

> But as I stated to HPUXRAC ... to me these are tools, not a religion.
> I change my preference as it suits my clients and their needs.

What do your clients do with what you have sold them on and now describe earlier in this thread as "orphaned systems".

Are you now working with them on alternate plans or leaving your customers to fend for themselves? Received on Wed Mar 29 2006 - 15:58:38 CST