Re: 10gR2 is out for x86 Solaris

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:11:57 -0800

NetComrade wrote:
> On 28 Mar 2006 11:58:40 -0800, "hpuxrac" <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>

>> # How about this post?
>>
>> Oracle Corp. in Redwood Shores hass implementing Apple hardware
>> on all of its internal Collab Suite applications.
>>
>> Now if Oracle's internal decisions don't make Apple a major
>> vendor then I guess we will just have to wait for the big dogs
>> at SBC Global to do so.
>>
>> # So what's the scoop?

> I think Mr. Morgain was referring to Xraid, which, afaik, is platfrom
> independent.. but I could be wrong.. I doubt everyone jumped on OS X
> and p5.
> We run Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RH4 AMD
> remove NSPAM to email

I did a number of implementations on OS X with Oracle 10.1.0.3. It was the best possible RAC implementation given that OS X is an incredibly good operating system, the Apple servers and storage blazingly fast, and the prices far below equivalent hardware from Dell, HP, IBM, or Sun.

That said ... the fact that Apple has not stepped up to the plate and supported Oracle with 10gR2 (or so it appears) or worked with Oracle to move the Application Server to their platform renders it a great promise, as yet, undelivered.

If I had available, in a timely manner, 10gR2 and the AppServer running on OS X ... I'd have little reason to touch AIX, HP/UX, Linux, or Solaris again.

But as I stated to HPUXRAC ... to me these are tools, not a religion. I change my preference as it suits my clients and their needs.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org