Re: Oracle 9i TNS Listener service

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2006 02:31:52 -0800

Matthew wrote:
> I have recently installed Oracle 9i server on a Windows 2003 Server machine,
> but have had great difficulty in getting the TNS Listener to run as a
> service.
>
> Despite verifying in the Oracle Installer that the TNS Listener is indeed
> installed, and copying the listener configuration from another Oracle 9i
> server on which the listener is working correctly into the listener
> configuration on the new server using Net Manager, the listener refuses to
> start as a service (it is not even listed in the Services console), even
> after multiple reboots. I had earlier run into this problem when I
> installed Oracle 9i server on a Windows XP machine, where I managed to get
> the listener to work by launching it separately (as a process after logging
> in, rather than automatically as a service), but after a while Oracle became
> unstable. I'd rather have the listener installed as a service, but am not
> sure what else I need to do to get this to happen.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?

I am on XP SP2. I removed the 920 listener service and then recreated it as shown below from the command line output. Changed hostname to XXXXXX. My listener.ora looks like,
LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =

      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = XXXXXX)(PORT = 1521))
      )
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
      )

    )
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =

      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\ora920)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)

    )
  )

Command line output looks like this.
C:\>ver

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

C:\>net start OracleOraHome920TNSListener The service name is invalid.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.

C:\>C:\oracle\ora920\bin\lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.7.0 - Production on 15-MAR-2006 09:54:41 Copyright (c) 1991, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Starting tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.7.0 - Production System parameter file is C:\oracle\ora920\network\admin\listener.ora Log messages written to C:\oracle\ora920\network\log\listener.log Listening on:
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=XXXXXX)(PORT=1521))) Listening on:
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROCipc)))

Connecting to
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=XXXXXX)(PORT=1521))) STATUS of the LISTENER

Alias                     LISTENER
Version                   TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.7.0
- Production
Start Date                15-MAR-2006 09:54:44
Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 2 sec
Trace Level               off
Security                  OFF
SNMP                      OFF
Listener Parameter File   C:\oracle\ora920\network\admin\listener.ora
Listener Log File         C:\oracle\ora920\network\log\listener.log
Listening Endpoints Summary...
  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=XXXXXXX)(PORT=1521)))   (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROCipc))) Services Summary...
Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
  Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
The command completed successfully

C:\>net stop OracleOraHome920TNSListener The OracleOraHome920TNSListener service is stopping. The OracleOraHome920TNSListener service was stopped successfully.

C:\>net start OracleOraHome920TNSListener The OracleOraHome920TNSListener service is starting. The OracleOraHome920TNSListener service was started successfully.

You can change the service startup to Auto etc. from the service control panel.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Wed Mar 15 2006 - 04:31:52 CST