Re: Standby Database on Oracle 10g Standard Edition ?

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:57:33 -0600

On 2006-03-14, sybrandb_at_yahoo.com <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Standby database is available in Oracle Standard.
> All other home grown scripts are by definition less reliable compared
> to using the Standby option and their use is unsafe, and therefore not
> recommended. The Standby option just works and is supported by Oracle.
> Home grown scripts aren't.

        Are you kidding? FAL is prone to tripping over itself anyways. Thus you will more than likely need to have some of those skanky scripts handy just in case Oracle Standby gets itself into a state it can't get itself out of.

        This is assuming that all of the log transport bells and whistles are even available in SE. I wasn't aware that this was the case.

> If you want to exercise and test your recovery skills, go ahead with
> your own method.
> If you don't plan to change employer, use the Standby option.

        You're going to be in a bad spot either way if you're exercising your standby skills too often in production.

        Incidentally, http://www.oracle.com/database/product_editions.html indicates that Dataguard does not infact come with the Standard Edition of Oracle.

--
	The best OS in the world is ultimately useless         |||
	if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates.      / | \

                http://www.usenet.com