Re: Standby Database on Oracle 10g Standard Edition ?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2006 12:23:00 -0800

JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2006-03-14, sybrandb_at_yahoo.com <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Standby database is available in Oracle Standard.
> > All other home grown scripts are by definition less reliable compared
> > to using the Standby option and their use is unsafe, and therefore not
> > recommended. The Standby option just works and is supported by Oracle.
> > Home grown scripts aren't.
>
> Are you kidding? FAL is prone to tripping over itself anyways.
> Thus you will more than likely need to have some of those skanky scripts
> handy just in case Oracle Standby gets itself into a state it can't get
> itself out of.

I think this was more true in the older ones. I still use the homegrown scripts on 9 because I can do things that weren't added until 10, like shipping compressed logs when I know it is best.

> This is assuming that all of the log transport bells and whistles
> are even available in SE. I wasn't aware that this was the case.

See also metalink Note:271886.1 DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DIFFERENT EDITIONS OF ORACLE DATABASE 10G Dataguard is in Enterprise Edition: "Data Guard provides a comprehensive set of services that create, maintain, manage, and monitor one or more standby databases to enable a production Oracle Database to survive disasters and data corruption."

Basic Standby is in all the editions: "Allows the DBA to manually clone a database, and to copy and to apply log files to the standby. Users can re-connect to standby should primary system fail."

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.whitedust.net/article/51/Interview:_Elonka_Dunin/