Re: Indexes and Foreign Keys

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:00:08 +0100

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:43:30 GMT, "Dereck L. Dietz" <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net> wrote:

>I have designed a number of tables where I find out the field that should be
>the primary key could be changed so I just create a unique index on it to
>keep from getting duplicates. Then I add a row which is nothing more than a
>numeric sequence and use that to link the parent with any children records.

Obviously, if your 'unique' attribute is a surrogate too, there is no need for that, and you are just wasting resources.

Which brings me to another waste: Could you *please* stop *top-posting* and including the entire previous message? Not all people have toll-free dialup to the Internet.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA