Re: Indexes and Foreign Keys

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:02:48 +0100

ianal Vista wrote:
> "Mark A" <nobody_at_nowhere.com> wrote in
>

>> "ianal Vista" <ianal_vista_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hmmm...
>>>
>>> I am/was under the opinion that the PK values can NEVER be changed.
>>>
>> Some do, some don't.

> Please provide functioning SQL example that "changes" a PK value.

Of course they can; however, it points to either an incorrect analysis, or some cutting corners when implementing the (correct) design. Whether this corner cutting is simply deue to technical constraints of the make/model to the DBMS chosen, I cannot answer.

I'd vote for "primary keys should not have a need to be altered".

Hmmmmm, how politically correct can you get?

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...