Re: Oracle RDBMS version 11 status?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:14:15 GMT

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:06:09 -0500, Walt wrote:

> In the context of a discussion of when to upgrade to 10g, one of our
> network administrators asked when Oracle 11 was coming out and if it
> would make sense to wait and skip a version.
>
> After on hour on google, metalink and Oracle's site, I haven't been able
> to come up with a decent answer to the first quesiton (although I did
> find a bunch of job offers for pepole with 3 years of experience with
> Oracle 11 <snicker>)

I can believe it. Actually, Oracle 11 is obsolete, having long since been replaced by Oracle 11i. (I'm sure you are aware that currently, Oracle 11 & 11i refer to the eBusiness Suite.)

> So I thought I'd ask here. Anybody know the status?
>
> BTW, the answer to the admin's second question is probably 'no'. And
> we're on W2k3 Oracle 9.2 if that matters.

If Oracle holds true to form, when they change the core technology to the Oracle 11q stack, there will have been some significant internal changes. I'm not sure I'd want to start planning to jump on a new stack off the top.

On the other hand, the 10gR2 stack is very solid and has some very interesting capabilities. It will be supported for a bunch of years - long enough for [the younger] Net Admins to be legally able to go to the bar ;-) - so I'd give it a serious gander.

I would not expect to hear some official-like prelim rumblings about 11q until October, and - based on past history - see the initial release in about 18 months. However, this is pure unadultrated, unsupported, unsubstantiated and entirely speculative conjecture.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com