Re: Oracle should have a new hint "INDEX_COL(tname,colname)".

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2006 19:36:45 -0800

oracle_doc wrote:
> AnySQL (d.c.b.a) wrote:
> > The "INDEX" hint let Oracle automatically choose index, however if
> > Oracle can introduce a new hint "INDEX_COL", it will really helpful.
> >
> > Because we may use different index name for the same table in different
> > environment (PROD vs QA).
> >
> > And to use column on specific column is easy for developer to
> > understand.
> >

> > Welcome, AnySQL
> > =======================
> > http://www.anysql.net/en
>

> Actually, it's already there!
>
> In 10g, there is an improved version of INDEX hint
>
> INDEX(tab1 tab1(ind_col1, ind_col2))
>

> By specifying the index columns rather than the index name, Oracle can
> pick up any index with these columns as the leading portion of the
> index key. When you think about it it's a much better hint, approaching
> the problem from the right direction - the search criteria from the
> logical perspective rather than a particular physical object.

Hi, oracle_doc,

You're one of the few gentlemen that have good memory! About this day last year, Jonathan Lewis told us this (still) undocumented feature

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_frm/thread/de056ba01e68c621

See message 9 and later.

If you see it documented anywhere, let us know.

Regards,

Yong Huang Received on Mon Mar 06 2006 - 21:36:45 CST