Re: Oracle should have a new hint "INDEX_COL(tname,colname)".

From: oracle_doc <nilendu_at_nilendu.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2006 16:58:19 -0800

AnySQL (d.c.b.a) wrote:
> The "INDEX" hint let Oracle automatically choose index, however if
> Oracle can introduce a new hint "INDEX_COL", it will really helpful.
>
> Because we may use different index name for the same table in different
> environment (PROD vs QA).
>
> And to use column on specific column is easy for developer to
> understand.
>

> Welcome, AnySQL
> http://www.anysql.net/en

Actually, it's already there!

In 10g, there is an improved version of INDEX hint

INDEX(tab1 tab1(ind_col1, ind_col2))

By specifying the index columns rather than the index name, Oracle can pick up any index with these columns as the leading portion of the index key. When you think about it it's a much better hint, approaching the problem from the right direction - the search criteria from the logical perspective rather than a particular physical object. Received on Mon Mar 06 2006 - 18:58:19 CST