Re: Why use Java Stored Procedures....

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 02:03:12 GMT

"HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:pan.2006.03.05.23.01.30.976919_at_telus.net...
> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:29:05 +0000, Bob Jones wrote:
>

>> Aside from Microsoft databases, most well-known databases support java
>> stored procedures. After all, the main benefit of Java is platform
>> independent. The more vendor support, the better it is for the
>> technology.
>
> Really?
>
> I looked at the PostgreSQL site. (http://www.postgresql.org) Could not
> see Java as a Stored Procedure language in their docco. (Yes, you can
> connect to PostgreSQL using Java, but that is not a Stored Procedure) I
> see PL/pgSQL, PL/Tcl, PL/Perl, PL/Python as Stored Procedure languages -
> but no Java.
>
> I looked at the MySQL site (http://www.mysql.org) Could not see Java as
> the Stored Procedure language, at least from the samples displayed. The
> language uses the SQL:2003 syntax for stored routines, but it really does
> not look like Java.
>
> From IBM's DB2 documentation, in the Stored Procedure section, as found at
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.udb.doc/core/db2idxS.htm
> I look at the sample stored procedures and note they have a non-Java-like
> syntax. IBM even has a section in their DB2 docco titled "AIX C++
> configuration files (Building C++ stored procedures with
> configuration files)" but I see no counterpart for Java.
>
> The challenge I forsee is making a JVM work in the database's memory
> space. But perhaps I am shooting left of center here.
>
> So - I'm still looking for that list. Perhaps you could take the time to
> provide links to docco for the 3 databases I mention, or link to a site
> that shows a demo of creating Java stored procedures in each (or even one)
> - I'd really appreciate it ...
>

> If you, however, misunderstood my question and were talking about using
> Java procedures in a database environment - I basically agree with you.

I don't think there is Java SP support in MySQL yet.

For DB2, just search "java stored procedure sample" in the document. There should be 2 Java samples.

PostgreSQL samples are scarce. Just like many open-source software, you may have to join some newsgroups. Received on Sun Mar 05 2006 - 20:03:12 CST