Re: Why use Java Stored Procedures....

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:01:35 GMT

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:29:05 +0000, Bob Jones wrote:

> Aside from Microsoft databases, most well-known databases support java
> stored procedures. After all, the main benefit of Java is platform
> independent. The more vendor support, the better it is for the technology.

Really?

I looked at the PostgreSQL site. (http://www.postgresql.org) Could not see Java as a Stored Procedure language in their docco. (Yes, you can connect to PostgreSQL using Java, but that is not a Stored Procedure) I see PL/pgSQL, PL/Tcl, PL/Perl, PL/Python as Stored Procedure languages - but no Java.

I looked at the MySQL site (http://www.mysql.org) Could not see Java as the Stored Procedure language, at least from the samples displayed. The language uses the SQL:2003 syntax for stored routines, but it really does not look like Java.

From IBM's DB2 documentation, in the Stored Procedure section, as found at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.udb.doc/core/db2idxS.htm I look at the sample stored procedures and note they have a non-Java-like syntax. IBM even has a section in their DB2 docco titled "AIX C++ configuration files (Building C++ stored procedures with configuration files)" but I see no counterpart for Java.

The challenge I forsee is making a JVM work in the database's memory space. But perhaps I am shooting left of center here.

So - I'm still looking for that list. Perhaps you could take the time to provide links to docco for the 3 databases I mention, or link to a site that shows a demo of creating Java stored procedures in each (or even one)

If you, however, misunderstood my question and were talking about using Java procedures in a database environment - I basically agree with you.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com