Re: Password protect DBA role

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 08:33:07 -0500

"ianal Vista" <ianal_vista_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns977BBFFC7977Bianalvistahotmailcom_at_70.169.32.36...
: aschexna_at_hotmail.com wrote in news:1141419406.087347.133020
: @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
:
: > I'm getting beat up by the Sar/Oxy auditors because the DBA role is not
: > password protected. The only schemas that are granted this role are SYS
: > and SYSTEM. I've tried to explain that the DBA is a default role for
: > SYS and SYSTEM and setting a password is useless, but to no avail.
: >
: > This is the 3rd company I've worked for as an Oracle DBA and I have
: > never seen the DBA role password protected. Can anyone come up with a
: > valid reason for password protecting the DBA role?
: >
: >
:
: It may be a language problem, but I don't clearly understand the
"problem".
:
: Please provide an example of how any other role is "password" protected in
: Oracle.

SQL> create role protected identified by secretpw;

Role created.

plus (AFAIR) all the other ways users are password protected -- with roles it's just optional

++ mcs Received on Sat Mar 04 2006 - 07:33:07 CST