Re: Migrating Old Oracle Versions on Sun Solaris 10 (Yikes!)

From: Lyall Barbour <lyallbarbour_at_sanfranmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 00:16:25 +0100

Alfredo,
We moved all left over Solaris DBs to Linux in 2015. All moved fine with RMAN clones or DataGuard, except one because of application encryption of passwords in a table and, probably, charactersets.

If you want to make sure all your bases are covered for that type of issue, an export with transportable tablespaces and the Endian switching is your best bet, to a fresh, clean db on the new servers.

I forget the syntax, but there's a dbms package that works with RMAN and transportable tablespaces for Endian change.

Lyall Barbour

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 12/11/20, 6:08 PM Alfredo Abate <alfredo.abate_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I've got a somewhat interesting problem that I’m being pulled into. While I'm researching my options, I thought I would post here to see if someone with more experience with something similar can provide some guidance.

We have a sister company running an ancient version of Oracle EBS (11.5.9) on Oracle DB 10.2.0.5 on Sun Solaris 10, T-4 servers. The servers are owned and hosted by a 3rd party provider in their data center. We have to move these environments out of this data center to somewhere else. The somewhere else is yet to be determined (new data center, cloud, etc).

We don't have the luxury to upgrade any of the Oracle software stacks or else we would do so while upgrading to a new platform on Linux/x86.

I've started looking at things like Sun Solaris emulators (Charon-ssp) to host on modern x86 servers (UGH).

Has anyone done anything like this or have some thoughts on what options might be available?

Thanks,

Alfredo

-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Sat Dec 12 2020 - 00:16:25 CET

Original text of this message