RE: Streams for one-time single source replication

From: Ruel, Chris <Chris.Ruel_at_lfg.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 19:48:44 +0000

I’m with C. Taylor on this. If you are new to Streams, it can be a little tedious and challenging to set up and get working reliably. Depending on your timeframe to do this, I would go with DataGuard as suggested. You can test it with the PSU’s offset to see if there are any issues. You can open a ticket with Oracle to see what their take is for a PSU mismatch across DataGuard. If nothing else, as mentioned, run it up until changeover weekend with the same PSU, then, take a short outage to apply PSU 11.2.0.3.8. Hopefully, you have time to run through a full test before go-live. Also, I would suggest using Flashback database on the standby so after your test you can flash it back and re-start redo-apply saving you from having to build the environment from scratch. FWIW, I doubt the OS difference will play a factor in this.

Chris..

Chris Ruel * Oracle Database Administrator cruel_at_lfg.com<mailto:cruel_at_lfg.com> * Desk:317.759.2172 * Cell 317.523.8482

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Chris Taylor Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 2:40 PM To: rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Streams for one-time single source replication

You could do a standby 11.2.0.3.x on the AIX 7.1 box - keep the archivelogs shipping over and the standby up to date. Then on the cutover date, you shutdown the primary, resync the last transactions and then patch to 11.2.0.3.8. Although, you might be able to do a standby from 11.2.0.3.x to 11.2.0.3.8 since only the patch release version is changing (haven't tested that scenario).

Just some thoughts.

Chris

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com<mailto:rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>> wrote: Hey all,

So I'm looking at a shrinking downtime window for an 11.2.0.3.x->11.2.0.3.8 (both EE) production DB move/reconfigure across two systems with only 1Gb network connecting them. The move is going from AIX 5.3 to AIX 7.1 with a subset of schemas/tablespaces.

Not only is the downtime short for the cutover, but time until the cutoff is very short (3-4 months), so I was thinking to use Streams to get this done. Basically, I was hoping for this at a *very* high level:

  1. Create new DB on destination server.
  2. Sometime before cutover, use Streams to sync schemas from source to dest.
  3. At cutover, stop Streams.
  4. Start business on new dest DB.

First, does this one-shot one-way replication sound doable?

Second, a week in the Oracle Streams class (online, at 3:00AM???) seems to be a waste. I see a few books out there -- any recommendations on firehose-to-a-teacup learning materials?

Thanks!
Rich

Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Feb 06 2014 - 20:48:44 CET

Original text of this message