Re: Deferred segment creation and datapump

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:17:35 +0000

Hi Martin,

On 11/02/13 14:29, Martin Klier wrote:

> First of all, do us a favour and don't mix up old-style exp/imp terms
> with datapump impdp/expdp.

I mentally inserted the missing smiley at the end of your comment above, it seems you may have forgotten to do it when typing! Either that or attitude failure? Bad day? Lack of coffee? :-)

I didn't mix them up, thanks. I mentioned both exp/imp and expdp/impdp. Both have the problem. (Caveat: they did have when I tried them about 3 months ago.)

I was specific in saying that it (deferred segment creation in SE) was a problem in exp/imp *that I had encountered* but also that it does apparently exist in expdp/impdp as well as there is a bug plus docs on MOS on the matter.

My point about using transportable Tablespaces and expdp/impdp was a separate one to the deferred segments one with exp/imp, but possibly still relevant given that I encountered it while carrying out a transportable tablespace import *because impdp cannot do it withot a database link*.

> For you particular problem do as following:

<SNIP>

FYI, the databases I'm exporting/importing are over 6.5 TB each. Normal exp/imp or expdp/impdp dumps are not suitable for these sizes, well, not within time scales anyway. So I've had to use a transportable tablespace export as opposed to a normal export. They are not the same thing.

This cannot be imported with impdp, according to Oracle Support, unless there is a database link between the importing database and the exporting database - which is impossible in my situation, hence exp/imp *must* be used.

I know I could do it with an RMAN backup, but the database versions are not the same. I could do it with a normal exp/imp or expdp/impdp dump - but quite honestly, we have better things to do with our time than waiting for those to finish!

I know the exp (but not imp) is deprecated in 11g - I do read the release notes, but thankfully it was there for me when I needed it because impdp is completely unusable in my case, because of the air gap between the two databases.

I'd be interested in hearing if you have had any success with a TT export using expdp/impdp and no database link. I haven't. Oracle Support say that it can't be done. If you know different, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Norm.

--