new database server build - sanity check

From: ~Jeff~ <jifjif_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:14:57 +1300

Hi all
Your opinions please!

We are embarking on a new database server build - the sysadmin is keen on Solaris 11.1 and ZFS on the T4-1 server. We will use zones for environment segregation and license mitigation.

While I've used sol9 and 10 without absolutely no issues before, using such a new OS version with a relatively non-mainstream filesystem seems ... adventurous.

Am I being too apprehensive, or is this a reasonable concern ? I'm interested in any real-life experience, rather than the marketing bullet points. Discuss. :)

thanks in advance -
Jeff