Re: new database server build - sanity check

From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:21:04 -0800 (PST)

A couple of questions
are you going to use ZFS for the database it self or just the software. Solaris 11 has been out for a while and is a supported platform (obviously) for the database.
ZFS if tuned right is a good database filesystem but why not ASM for database .
  • Original Message ---- From: ~Jeff~ <jifjif_at_gmail.com> To: "Oracle-L_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Thu, January 24, 2013 6:16:46 PM Subject: new database server build - sanity check

Hi all
Your opinions please!

We are embarking on a new database server build - the sysadmin is keen on Solaris 11.1 and ZFS on the T4-1 server. We will use zones for environment segregation and license mitigation.

While I've used sol9 and 10 without absolutely no issues before, using such a new OS version with a relatively non-mainstream filesystem seems ... adventurous.

Am I being too apprehensive, or is this a reasonable concern ? I'm interested in any real-life experience, rather than the marketing bullet points. Discuss. :)

thanks in advance -
Jeff

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jan 25 2013 - 01:21:04 CET

Original text of this message