Oracle 6 is a version of the Oracle Database.
History and Support Status
Release date: July 1988
Latest release: 6.0.36 (for some operation systems 6.0.34, eg. DG/UX)
Status: No longer supported.
The following new features were introduced with Oracle 6:
- Oracle Parallel Server Option (later renamed to Real Application Clusters)
There was never an Oracle 6.1 production release. However, a 6.1 version was made available to selected beta customers running on clustered hardware. Apparently the database was so busy checking block status's between the machines that it killed the systems it ran on.
Oracle 6 - July 1988
- OLTP performance enhancements
- Row-level locking
- On-line database backups (alter tablespace begin/end backup)
- New Procedural Option (TPO) - PL/SQL in the database (*)
- B*Tree indexes implemented
- Rollback Segments introduced
- Concept of tablespaces introduced
|Oracle 1 | Oracle 2 | Oracle 3 | Oracle 4 | Oracle 5 | Oracle 6 | Oracle 7 | Oracle 8 | Oracle 8i | Oracle 9i | Oracle 10g | Oracle 11gR1 | Oracle 11gR2 | Oracle 12c|