DbForge Studio for Oracle Product Review
dbForge Studio for Oracle is an Oracle database development tool developed by Devart. dbForge Studio for Oracle is a powerful integrated development environment (IDE) which helps Oracle developers to increase PL/SQL coding speed, provides versatile data editing tools for managing in-database and external data. This tool allows to synchronize data between different Oracle servers and automate schema change management process during development. It also adds lots of features wrapped into a smooth management GUI consistent with Microsoft Visual Studio.
The first version was released on 31 May 2005 under the name OraDeveloper Studio. Version 3.1.260 (released on the 09-Apr-2013) contains multiple improvements and enhancements comparing to the 3.1 version released on the 06th of December, 2011.
dbForge Studio for Oracle, v.3.5 was released in October, 2013. The update has Oracle 12c support, optimized application performance for working with Oracle servers, new code formatter and extended code completion capabilities.
The 3.8 version was released on February 4, 2016. The update includes redesigned UI for schema compare and data compare functionality, support for TFS 2015 in schema compare and a lot of improvements listed at the revision history page.
The last version of dbForge Studio for Oracle 3.9 was released on October 21, 2016. The updated version delivers the following features and improvements:
- The Database Search tool has been completely redesigned for optimal search of both objects and data
- Visual Object Editors have been totally redesigned
- Virtual Columns are now supported in Visual Object Editors and Schema Compare
- Greatly improved suggestion performance
- Improved XML View and new JSON View for Data Editor and Viewer Window
- Generate Script As now supports selection of multiple objects
Oracle Database Connectivity
- Support for Oracle versions from 8i to 12c
- Ability to use several Oracle Homes in single application
- Instant Client support
- Optional direct access mode for establishing connections without Oracle client software
- Working with Oracle on Amazon RDS
- Unicode support
- Connection Coloring and Document Categories
- Connection via Windows authentication
PL/SQL coding assistant
- Alias refactoring
- Code collapsing/expanding with support of user-defined regions
- Code snippets library with a browser window and editor
- Context-sensitive code completion
- PL/SQL formatter
- Document Outline window for quick navigation through large scripts
- Execution of scripts, selected SQL fragments, and statements
- Store PL/SQL execution parameters for re-use
- One-step access to a schema object editor from code (go to definition)
- Parameter information for stored routines
- Quick access to favorite templates from SQL editor
- Quick information about schema objects
- SQL editor with syntax coloring, bookmarks, and text search
- Executed SQL history window for the document
- SQL*Plus commands are supported
Data management tools
- Data editor with quick filtering, sorting, grouping, copying to spreadsheet, and export to SQL
- Data export and import supporting multiple formats
- Data reports designer with report generation in multiple formats for Oracle
- Master-detail data browser
- Pivot table designer
- Asynchronous data fetch with ability to cancel the operation
- Batch table update mode when changes are accumulated and applied explicitly
- Copying data with column headers for quick pasting to spreadsheet
- Custom data filters of any complexity
- Data Viewer window for browsing images, rtf, and binary cell values
- Date time editor with visual interface
- Foreign key lookup editor for easy editing of fields referencing other tables
- Free copying of any block of data to clipboard
- Graphical card view
- Large objects (LOB) editor
- Report, chart, and pivot building directly from data editor
- Server-side sorting and filtering to help dealing with large data sets
- Visible columns picking dialog box
- Editing of multiple execution results of one script on separate tabs
Database change management tools
- Schema comparison and synchronization tool for Oracle
- Schema snapshots creation and comparison
- Data comparison and synchronization tool for Oracle
- Command-line interface support for database development process automation
- PL/SQL code debugging
- Script debugging
- Step Into, Step Over, and Step Out commands for step-by-step execution
- Breakpoints support for procedures, functions, triggers, and scripts
- Breakpoints window
- Call Stack window with navigation
Exporting and Importing Data
- Data export to: CSV, XML, Text, XLS, PDF, DBF, HTML, RTF, ODBC, MDB, SQL.
- Export data from multiple tables at once
- Export data from command line interface
- Data import from: CSV, XML, Text, XLS, XSLX, DBF, MDB, ODBC.
- Import data from command line interface
- Templates for exporting and importing
- The state-of-art diagram with zooming and keyboard support
- Preview and printing of the diagram
- Visual addition of sub-queries to any part of the main query
- Query outline (displayed in Document Outline window)
- Visual editing of sub-queries
- Expression builder for creating complex conditions
- PL/SQL profiling to detect code performance bottlenecks
- Visual SQL explain plan
- Session statistics displayed in a UI
- Plan of the query displayed in the tree view for easy review
- Profiling history that can be saved for further analysis
- Compare profiling results feature with differences highlight
- Capability to compare and synchronize Oracle database schemas
- Command line launch for schema comparison and synchronization
- Synchronization between different server versions
- Compare schemas using live connections or pre-saved offline snapshots
- Compare and generate database server change scripts between two or more databases
- Schema synchronization script generation
- Per object viewing of DDL differences
- Comparison results filtering
Schema Export and Import
- Comprehensive Oracle database schema export and import wizards
- Export of Oracle object definition schemas as well as its data
- Large Oracle schema export support
- Reverse engineer objects DDL including roles, permissions to recreate objects in a different db/schema
Visual Database Designer
- Visualization of tables, views, stored procedures
- Easy access to database objects for viewing their properties, editing, retrieving data, executing stored routines, etc.
- Support for IDEF1X and IE notations
- Customizable diagram look and feel with skin support
- Smart ER Diagram layout
- Diagram export to different image formats
- Searching database objects on diagram
- Organizing diagram shapes with containers
- Customizable diagram printing with a rich set of options
For a comprehensive list of features please visit the Feature page
To install the tool, it is necessary to double-click the exe file and follow the prompts in the wizard. The tool can be upgraded using the built-in wizard. If a new version is available on the Devart website, you are automatically prompted about it when you start the tool.
dbForge Studio for Oracle comes in three editions:
Express gives you the basic FREE Oracle database tool. It includes schema object editors, security manager, basic code completion, basic data export and import, restricted query builder.
Standard works fine for everyday Oracle development tasks. It adds advanced code completion, PL/SQL debugger, database search, query profiler.
Professional includes extra tools to advance your Oracle development to a new level. It adds database projects, schema comparison tool, data comparison tool, command-line interface.
You can find the detailed edition comparison table here.
Benefits 30-day fully-functional product trial 30-day money-back guarantee policy Volume discounts free 1-year subscription for updates and technical support
If you have any problems with the product or questions or suggestions concerning it, you can send an e-mail to its developers or write them at the company forum, and you will be answered shortly.
With a clear GUI and simple logic, dbForge Studio for Oracle is one of the most reliable tools for Oracle database management that can be applied by a wide range of people dealing with Oracle databases to solve routine Oracle database tasks.
Note: This page was written by the author and represents the opinion of the author. Anyone can add his own opinion.