Database Product Evaluation Criteria
From Oracle FAQ
Questions to ask when evaluating new systems/ products that needs to run in an Oracle environment:
 External Environment
- What hardware platforms are supported by the solution?
- What operating systems (with versions) are supported by the solution?
- Describe network and protocol connectivity requirements.
 Oracle Software
- What exact Oracle database version(s) is required?
- What other Oracle software components (with versions) are required?
- Is your company licensed to use all the software components in the proposal?
- Are these products still supported by Oracle?
- When will these product versions be desupported by Oracle? (life cycle)
- How many databases are required?
- How large will these databases be?
- How rapidly will these databases grow?
- Any specific database parameters that should be used?
- What are the backup and recovery requirements for these databases?
- Will backups be taken on-line or off-line?
- Will these databases run in archivelog or noarchivelog mode?
- Any proposed backup schedules (daily/ weekly/ monthly backups)?
- When/ how large is the backup window?
- Who will access the system/ database and why?
- How many concurrent users will use the system?
- How many transactions will be processed (TPM)?
- Will the workload be mainly on-line or batch? Give details.
- Is the application mainly read or write intensive?
- How will the users access the system/ databases?
 Service Level Agreements (SLA)
- What SLAs need to be put in place to support the solution, and with whom?
- What will the impact be if a database is unavailable?
- What will the impact be if the application is unavailable?
 Disaster Recovery (DRP)/ Business Continuance Plans (BCP)
- What DRP plans need to be put in place to support the solution?
- What BCP plans need to be put in place to support the solution?
- How can the database environment be made secured?
- Will anyone (except the DBAs) require DBA accounts on the database?
- What maintenance actions will be required to keep the proposed solution available?
 Personnel/ Training
- How many DBAs would be required to look after these databases?
- How experienced do these DBAs need to be?
- What special training would be required to install and maintain these databases?
- Are all relevant courses readily available locally?