Re: Aggregates: Largest Groups

From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy_at_iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 20:19:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 10, 2:12 am, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:

> The context he had in mind was
> the programming usage of databases, especially the dominant big iron
> ones of the day such as IMS, which were hierarchical or network based
> and full of the 'details' you mentioned.  I don't think he ever claimed
> his model was aimed at general programming, in fact, I think I've read
> that right to the end he was in favour of data sub-languages.

Exactly correct. He just tried to improve what he saw, and hit upon gold with RM. Then he and perhaps a whole generation of folks stopped there. I on the other hand think the evolution Codd (and many other, different kinds of advocates for high level primitives+structure) started should continue. In *theory* it could overtake procedural programming as a paradigm as well, but practically I don't think it ever will (there are a number of complexity proofs in the way). I think Codd saw most of the same stuff in his day because the reasons to think so aren't exactly spankin-new.

Yet as I just said above, we do have examples of languages which fare better in certain departments, because they're higher level and/or more suited to the task. My own thinking is that at least all of the current languages' best sides could probably be tied together, and that relational algebra might be a big part of that.

--
Sampo

  Of course