Re: Aggregates: Largest Groups

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 23:12:28 GMT

Sampo Syreeni wrote:
> Still, my main point is that the original reason why Codd came up with
> the relational model was that too much attention to details hampered
> programmers' productivity. ...

I think that statement is misleading. The context he had in mind was the programming usage of databases, especially the dominant big iron ones of the day such as IMS, which were hierarchical or network based and full of the 'details' you mentioned. I don't think he ever claimed his model was aimed at general programming, in fact, I think I've read that right to the end he was in favour of data sub-languages. Of course I don't speak for him, just going by what he's written of which I think the best is so good because it is so concise. Personally I can't imagine taking an obvious array application and using sql tables or Tutorial D relvars instead (I say 'obvious' just to exclude array oriented apps that should have used Codd's 'R-Tables' in the first place). Received on Sat Apr 10 2010 - 01:12:28 CEST

Original text of this message