Re: identifying entities across database updates (was: Is a function a relation?)

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:26:58 -0700

Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNenashi_at_gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>Bad example. It is computer science that defines state machines as 5
>tuple something. When I see 5 (and CS routinely offers definitions
>longer than that!) tuple I just stop reading. Compare it to math where
>automaton is defined by matrix action in a vector space. As somebody
>from math forum eloquently put it "computer buffs tend to complicate
>things".

     I am studying computation theory right now. The most complex that I have seen so far is 5-tuples. It is nice to see it all defined explicitly.

     A state machine consists of a set of states, an alphabet, a state transition function or relation, a starting state, and a set of accepting states. Putting it in tuple form makes it more compact.

     Several types of tuples have been defined. It is obvious from the notational forms that and how the various automata are related. I find this useful.

     It is still tough slogging through some of the theorems, but I think it would be worse in English.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.