Re: identifying entities across database updates (was: Is a function a relation?)

From: Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNenashi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:12:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 14, 2:26 pm, Gene Wirchenko <ge..._at_ocis.net> wrote:

>      I am studying computation theory right now.  The most complex
> that I have seen so far is 5-tuples.  It is nice to see it all defined
> explicitly.

7-tuple:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_machine#Formal_definition

It is remarkable that among different models of computations the ugliest one won.

>      A state machine consists of a set of states, an alphabet, a state
> transition function or relation, a starting state, and a set of
> accepting states.  Putting it in tuple form makes it more compact.
>
>      Several types of tuples have been defined.  It is obvious from
> the notational forms that and how the various automata are related.  I
> find this useful.

Here is the source of my diatribe:
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Courses/cs786/2004sp/ Lecture 8:
Algebraic Definition of Finite Automata
Def 8.1 A finite automaton over K is a triple A_ = (u,A,v) where u and v are vectors and A is matrix....
The language accepted by A_ is the element u^T A* v

So, we still have start and stop states, but at least they are introduced naturally. Received on Wed Jul 15 2009 - 01:12:47 CEST

Original text of this message