Re: OO foundation (was: Object-relational impedence)

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 09:03:01 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 4, 1:43 pm, Stefan Nobis <sno..._at_gmx.de> wrote:
> "H. S. Lahman" <h..._at_pathfindermda.com> writes:
>
> > First, I think it is important to clarify that the 'relational' in
> > the mismatch isn't referring to the fact that the OO paradigm uses
> > something other than set theory's relational model. The nature of
> > the impedance mismatch lies in the way the OO and RDB paradigms
> > implement the same relational model.
>
> Huh? I know of the lambda calculus as a foundation of functional
> languages and the relation model as foundation of RDBs. But I wonder
> what the formal foundations of the OO family of languages is
> (references, please).

The foundation of OO mostly hasn't been laid down yet. Little work has been done. If you are interested:

http://www.google.com/search?q=theory+of+objects

Abadi and Cardelli have done some work in this area. Cardelli in particular is a brilliant CS researcher; you cannot go wrong paying attention to anything he has to say.

Marshall Received on Wed Mar 05 2008 - 18:03:01 CET

Original text of this message