OO foundation (was: Object-relational impedence)

From: Stefan Nobis <snobis_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 22:43:23 +0100

"H. S. Lahman" <hsl_at_pathfindermda.com> writes:

> First, I think it is important to clarify that the 'relational' in
> the mismatch isn't referring to the fact that the OO paradigm uses
> something other than set theory's relational model. The nature of
> the impedance mismatch lies in the way the OO and RDB paradigms
> implement the same relational model.

Huh? I know of the lambda calculus as a foundation of functional languages and the relation model as foundation of RDBs. But I wonder what the formal foundations of the OO family of languages is (references, please).

As far as I understand those matters I would say the relational model is more abstract than the OO model (only the most common language use for the relational model, SQL, is... improvable).

--
Stefan.