Re: OODBMS (Re: Mixing OO and DB)

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 09:24:32 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 5, 7:58 am, topmind <topm..._at_technologist.com> wrote:
> Robert Martin wrote:
>
> > > The latest fad is language-specific OODBMS, such as Prevelayer
> > > (spell?) for Java.
>
> > Prevailer is a persistence mechanism, not a datbase.
>
> Probably depends on which definition one uses. I will agree that it
> could be considered in the gray area.

Prevayler originally billed itself as a complete replacement for an RDBMS. (Which in some ways is understandable: as we've seen from this thread, a lot of people using RDBMSs don't really understand what they're for or how to use them, and think of them as big arrays of structs on disk, easily swapped out with some flat files.)

Of course, the idea that Prevayler is a replacement for an RDBMS is ludicrous. It is, as Robert says, a persistence mechanism, no more.

The prevayler homepage has significantly toned down the anti-dbms rhetoric since last I checked them several years ago. However the title of the sourceforge page is still "Prevayler - Databases in Memoriam".<snort>

Marshall Received on Wed Mar 05 2008 - 18:24:32 CET

Original text of this message