Re: Object-relational impedence

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 18:08:39 -0000

"David Cressey" <cressey73_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:SGWyj.2671$4D2.1906_at_trndny06...

> There is, however, a different level of abstraction where an RDB is
> two-dimensional.

There is? Are you thinking of report writers and GUI painters?

> So Tom is not "wrong" all the way. And it may be at that
> level of abstraction where the OO RM impedance match comes about.

>> I completely, 100% agree with that. Code is evil.
>>
> It appears, from reading c.o., that OO people regard data structures as
> evil.
>
> It sounds like Stalinists versus Trotskyites to me!

Until I know their reasons for their views on data structures I couldn't say. However I notice that I am surrounded by programmers who consume most the development budget writing code, and when a change request comes along I can accommodate it in the database in minutes and they spend months spewing out more code (sometimes after doing an extensive and expensive impact assessment). Code may not be evil, but it sure has a case to answer.

Roy Received on Mon Mar 03 2008 - 19:08:39 CET

Original text of this message