Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:27:24 -0400

David Cressey wrote:

> "Stefan Ram" <ram_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
>

>>Patrick May <pjm_at_spe.com> writes:
>>
>>>Thread someThread = new SomeThreadImplementation();
>>>someThread.run();
>>>Unless you're considering the name of the class and/or the name of the
>>>method to be data, the message is solely about behavior.
>>
>> I believe that in the general case object-oriented programs
>> will also have to use argument values within messages.
>>
>> If the argument values are objects, some might not deem them
>> to be "data", but at least numerical literals and string
>> literals will be considered to be data (even if they refer to
>> objects) and hardly can be avoided.
>>
>> Which brings up the idea, that it would help to define the
>> meaning of �data� first.

Already done. See the ISO/IEC 2382 Standard Vocabularies. Data is information suitably encoded for machine processing. Information and data are the two most fundamental definitions in the standards.

[confusion with literals snipped]

>> One can sometimes hide data at some of the places.

Information hiding and data hiding are two very different things. Sadly, the OO camp has confused them.

[snip] Received on Tue Feb 12 2008 - 18:27:24 CET

Original text of this message