Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:23:37 -0400

David Cressey wrote:
> "Patrick May" <pjm_at_spe.com> wrote in message news:m24pce1izn.fsf@spe.com...

>>>I have a different understanding.
>>>
>>>Objects do not always hide data.  Specifically,  they pass messages to

> each
>
>>>other in the form of data.
>>
>>     Some messages may contain data, but many do not.  Consider this,
>>for example:
>>
>>  Thread someThread = new SomeThreadImplementation();
>>  someThread.run();
>>
>>Unless you're considering the name of the class and/or the name of the
>>method to be data, the message is solely about behavior.

> The stuff that's being passed from one side of the assignment to the other
> is data.
> What else would it be?

And the stuff before the . is data. Changing the syntax by which one passes a reference parameter doesn't change a reference parameter into anything else.

>>>Going further, objects do not "see" the behavior of other objects.
>>>What they see is the data, written into messages, that is the result
>>>of behavior.
>>
>>     Objects can invoke the behaviors of other objects without needing
>>to monitor for any results.

> I didn't say anything about what they need to monitor or don't need to
> monitor. I only stated what they see and what they do not see. All they
> see is data.
>

>>>One could do a data centric analysis of an object world, by
>>>analyzing the data passed among the objects in that world.
>>
>>     That would miss a great deal of information in a behavior-centric
>>system.

> How does one express information without using data?

David, you are wasting your time. Unless the idgit defines what he means by "object" he is talking nonsense. Is it an object instance (ie. a variable) ? An object class (ie. a data type)? An object value?

If he means an object instance (ie. variable) or an object value, the object itself is data. Received on Tue Feb 12 2008 - 18:23:37 CET

Original text of this message