Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:38:49 -0400

David Cressey wrote:

> "Patrick May" <pjm_at_spe.com> wrote in message news:m2prv2m7zu.fsf_at_spe.com...
>

>>Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> writes:

>>>Which is semantically equal to run(someThread)
>>
>> Only if the context of the run() function is the same as that of
>>the SomeThreadImplementation instance at the time the run() method is
>>invoked.

You are talking nonsense. The context is just data.

I strongly suggest you read _The Third Manifesto_. Otherwise, you are arguing from a position of abject ignorance.

>> You can't define away the differences between OO and other
>>techniques that easily.

What difference? Frankly, there is little difference between OO and any other low-level computational model. From a higher-level perspective, the only really useful ideas in it are type inheritance and polymorphism.

>>>The value of the variable, someThread, is data.
>>
>> It does not, however, enable the type of analysis the orignal
>>poster was suggesting might be possible. Because of the OO focus on
>>behavior, data-only analysis is not able to provide a full view of an
>>OO system.

> Agreed.
>
> However, it's also the case that you can't provide a full view of an OO
> system without understanding what's going on inside the capsules.  In short,
> encapsulation interferes with full system understanding.

Encapsulation is a piss-poor way to achieve information hiding. Physical independence and logical independence are so much better. Received on Tue Feb 12 2008 - 18:38:49 CET

Original text of this message