Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: Tony Toews [MVP] <ttoews_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 02:06:17 GMT

JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:

>> Why?
>
>I was tempted to simply reply:
>
>"avoiding using Access is just a rule I have. Why? No good reason. The
>access fanboys will argue. I don't care"
>
>...but, hey that sort of sentiment would surely just be peurile, and
>discourage useful discussion would it not?

<chuckle>

>> It works and works well. If you have too many users or remote users bolt on a
>> SQL Server backend. Now you can have thousands of users.
>
>Or I could just use a decent database architecture in the first place
>(and I am lucky enough to be able to), that can cope with more that 10
>users (I mean 255 *cough*). Thats why I salute your dedication in the
>face of all that superior db technology. I mean, we all know that the
>client really wants to use oracle, and yet its you that stoutly has to
>deal with his corner cutting as best you can.

But in many situations why go to the extra effort of Oracle or <cough> SQL Server required? I seldom create systems that will be used by more than ten people. Using Access in such an environment is a simpler install and simple updating. No DBA required and very little IT admin.

>I certainly don't mean to upset you....Well okay, maybe there's just a
>bit of friendly ribbing in there ;)

<smile>

Tony

--