Re: Useful Unicode

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:17:21 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 24, 7:14 pm, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> JOG wrote:

> >>What makes you think there is a market for standardization?- Hide quoted text -
>
> > Well the economic theory (as far as I can recall) is that even in a
> > fiercely competetive market, so long as there is no market failure,
> > there exists an underlying impetus to agree on standards (or rather
> > adopt a single one, from the scariest player). The game-theoretic (!)
> > motivation is to increase network externalities overall, hence growing
> > the size of the market as a whole and giving everyone a simlar
> > percentage slice but of a bigger cake. I think its happened enough, in
> > web standards, communication standards, etc, that it has some merit,
>
> How do you explain the plethora of competing web and communication
> standards?

How do you explain the uptake of XML?

> Ditto the various rail gauges and domestic line voltages?
>
> > but as far as a monopoly is concerned such agreement is anathema.
>
> Why do you think monopoly is required?

Hmmm, I said if there is a Monopoly, standardization is tougher to arrive at. Your asking me why if it is tough to Standardize, a monopoly must therefore be required? I have claimed such thing....have I caught you "affirming the consequent" bob?

> Have you ever tried to buy
> accessories for the latest, newest cell phone six months or a year after
> purchase?

Lordy no, I'm a hip young thing who regularly changes his phone as per the latest fashion.

> > They'd quite sensibly rather tie everyone into their own dedicated
> > systems using such useful things as er...say... activex, subtly
> > different css models and silverlight... ;) 'Course its a long time
> > since I was an economist, and given economic theory is about as
> > scientific as the fashion industry, the above may all now be viewed as
> > bobbins.
>
> Market equilibria over the very long term and individual commercial
> interests over the very short term vary considerably.

I'll leave forecasting "the very long term to the Psychohistorians, while I concentrate on my unicodes. Received on Fri Jan 25 2008 - 03:17:21 CET

Original text of this message