Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:31:57 -0800 (PST)

rpost wrote:
> JOG wrote:
> >I'm starting to think this is a wind up ;) If so props indeed! The
> >rest of what you have posted is [...] just so
> >abrasive, well, I have to doubt the intentions behind it.
>
> The tone was chosen with the intentions of communicating how reading
> that long discussion on "hidden" attributes you were referring to
> generally made me feel, and what I think of its overall quality;
>
> Clearly I was trying to do too many things at the same time there.
> Your response stops before the actual technical content of my reply starts.
> This has happened before (remember your list of paradoxes?)
> so I'm clearly failing to communicate effectively. My apologies.

To communicate effectively in this /theory/ newsgroup, may I suggest that you focus solely on what you /think/ and leave aside (entirely) how you feel. I venture to say that nobody cares how you feel. There was once another poster that trolled around always discussing how she felt about this or that post or this or that poster. She's been gone for a while now.

> >I don't really understand why you're so entrenched - I've explained
> >the logic behind how using hidden attributes as keys can be
> >deleterious, and I've given you some examples.
>
> But you ignore my explanations on why these examples are irrelevant
> to the points I'm trying to make.
>
> I don't feel entrenched, I just don't feel the points I've been trying
> to make all along are clear to you, so I keep trying to reword them.

We don't care how you feel. What do you think and what do you base those beliefs on?

> There's a lot going wrong here, it seems. (If one of us were
> a systems analyst and the other the customer, I would be positively
> ashamed of myself.)

We don't care how you would feel. I thought Reinier was a man's name?

> a very meaningful exchange of ideas. The only way I know of resolving
> that is to keep on trying. Then again, there are more important issues
> in the world, even to me.

Such as fuzzy feelings?

KHD.F6 Received on Mon Jan 07 2008 - 03:31:57 CET

Original text of this message