Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:39:25 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 4, 9:37 pm, rp..._at_pcwin518.campus.tue.nl (rpost) wrote:

> >> Why use two different terms?
>
> >Because they apply to different things, propositions and entities.
> >Don't confuse the two.
>
> What is the difference?

You can't distinguish between a statement of fact, and the things that are the subjects of those statements describe? Cor Blimey guvnor.

> For me, an entity is a proposition treated as a thing
> (i.e. used as a reference rather than a description).

Wuh-wuh? Its generally agreed that 'entity' is a synonym for 'thing' (according to them dictionary jibjobs) so you seem have written: "an entity is a proposition treated as an entity". Er...

I'm starting to think this is a wind up ;) If so props indeed! The rest of what you have posted is just, well, bluster. You intimate I bullied someone (good grief), that I'm pedaling dogma, that predicate logic has some notion of hidden attributes (!?), that I hadn't considered the possibility of...surely not...automatic id generation, etc, etc. Gosh, its all so silly. And what you have written is just so abrasive, well, I have to doubt the intentions behind it.

I don't really understand why you're so entrenched - I've explained the logic behind how using hidden attributes as keys can be deleterious, and I've given you some examples. So until I can find some time to write them up more clearly, I am afraid "Mr. Moss, I have to let you go".