Re: OT editors (was: Another view on analysis and ER)

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 16:11:58 GMT

"Roy Hann" <specially_at_processed.almost.meat> wrote in message news:P-edndCDCJwcJMfanZ2dnUVZ8u6dnZ2d_at_pipex.net...
> "David Cressey" <cressey73_at_verizon.net> wrote in message
> >
> > The only versions of vi that I have been exposed to were outrageously
> > primitive when compared to the text editors of VAX/VMS from a quarter of
> > century ago. And EMACS looks like its even more sophisticated than
those.

> Having started out in the era of punched cards and paper tape I guess
maybe
> I am excessively forgiving of anything that is recognizably an editor. On
> the other hand I have used a very large number of editors on everything
from
> mainframes to the most capable PCs and everything in between so I can
> legitimately claim to know what I'm talking about.

Well, I actually go back to paper tape as well. And, if you want go back that far, my all time favorite was TECO. TECO was really a string oriented programming language, made to look like a text editor. The people who built EMACS got some of their ideas from TECO.

The only reason I didn't mention TECO up front is that it wasn't WYSIWYG. You had to actually display stuff to see what you were going to get. The WSIWYG editors were a step forward from TECO for me, even if they were a little less sophisiticated. Received on Sat Dec 08 2007 - 17:11:58 CET

Original text of this message