Re: XML storing and management

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:51:57 -0700

On 27 sep, 19:33, "V.J. Kumar" <vjkm..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Jan Hidders <hidd..._at_gmail.com> wrote in news:1190911498.923039.151330@
> 19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

> > -- Jan Hidders
>
> I find XML versus the relational model ball-crushingly boring.

Who is doing a "versus"?

> The only
> interesting and puzzling thing about such discussions is that seemingly
> smart people try to find some merit in the XML monstrosity, perhaps the
> greatest calamity that has ever befallen data management technology !.

Yes, yes, I know, I know. The horror, the horror. But maybe with your background you will understand that XML is actually just another manifestation of the relational model. After all, in essence XPath is just first order logic over ordered node labeled trees.

> There is an essay written called "A Relational Model of Data for Large
> Shared Data Banks". "Sapienti sat !" as they say in Sanskrit.

They do? Tha'ts funny. We say that in Latin. :-) But I'll keep that in mind next time I treat that paper again with my students.

  • Jan Hidders