Re: XML storing and management

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:29:42 -0700

On 27 sep, 22:52, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Jan Hidders wrote:

> >>That's a nit. If one cannot always safely reorder, then one cannot
> >>safely reorder.
>
> > I thought we were having a serious discussion, not playing trivial
> > word games. My mistake.
>
> I am having a serious discussion. I am not the one picking at nits.

I disagree. I think you are.

> What your position boils down to is: XML is needlessly complex.

Not really. What I said is that concerning the aspect we were discussing it is actually missing a construct. So my position is more accurately described as that it is "too simple", not "too complex".

> As a
> result of the needless complexity, one cannot re-order the data without
> changing meaning and without destroying information.

That is too imprecise to be correct. You can in some sense always reorder if you want to. What I said is that whether this loses information or not is a matter of interpretation. Note by the way that this is also true for the Relational Model: you cannot always arbitrarily permute the atomic values in a relation without risking changing its meaning. Also there it is a matter of interpretation whether this is actually a problem or not.

> BUT if we add even
> more complexity, we can sometimes re-order data. Sometimes.

Yes, when it is appropriate, which is not always.

  • Jan Hidders