Re: Newbie question on table design.

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 12:13:01 -0600

paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> writes:
> Nit: I think this should have said "typical" IBM culture. I once
> worked in an atypical IBM shop where, for example, very few
> programmers knew any JCL, that included assembler programmers. Nearly
> everybody used TSO and TSOTEST exclusively for compiles and
> assemblies, so-called "link-edits" and debugging. There was no
> waiting for batch jobs to start. Typical IBM installations usually
> forbade this for cost reasons but a few bought enough hardware to
> allow it. I found it just as productive as using the early Borland
> "Turbo" integrated environments on a dedicated PC. Very few people
> needed to understand how to write tso "clist" scripts, just as very
> few Borland customers needed to modify the standard "workflow". One
> could expect several thousand lines to assemble and link with other
> code in as little as ten seconds and usually compiles too. One
> typically was dealing with several hundred thousand lines in any given
> component, but things were arranged so that usually only a handful of
> modules needed to re-compiled.

for much of the seventies, SJR ran batch MVT service on 370/195. There was some numerical intensive "JOBs" that could have several week turn around. recent post with reference to palo alto science center moving one of their jobs to background on their vm/145 (still talking several weeks to complete ... but turn around was shorter/less than what they were getting on the 195 ... peak performance of 195 was about 30times that of 145):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#13 Interrupts

with respect to pascal comments in previous post: http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#14 Newbie question on table design.

this post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007h.html#41 Fast and Safe C Strings: User friendly C macros to Declare and use C Strings

mentions much later when the corporation had decided to transition to some number of COTS VLSI tools ... as part of that transition they were providing some of the VLSI tool vendors copies of some of the internal applications.

by that time, vs/pascal was supported for both mainframe operation and rs/6000 (aix) operation. however, as part of the COTS tools transition, various of internal tools had to also run on other vendor workstations. I had opportunity to port one 60,000 line pascal application to other platforms ... however, it seemed like these other implementations had never gotten much past the student programming application stage (and never dealt with a 60,000 line application). Received on Fri May 04 2007 - 20:13:01 CEST

Original text of this message