Re: Newbie question on table design.

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 17:02:32 GMT

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:j71%h.161405$aG1.14719_at_pd7urf3no...
> Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> > for much of the seventies, SJR ran batch MVT service on 370/195. There
> > was some numerical intensive "JOBs" that could have several week turn
> > around. recent post with reference to palo alto science center moving
> > one of their jobs to background on their vm/145 (still talking several
> > weeks to complete ... but turn around was shorter/less than what they
> > were getting on the 195 ... peak performance of 195 was about 30times
> > that of 145):
> > http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#13 Interrupts
>
> I had the attitude that "batch" was a synonym for "bait and switch".
> Marketing material would show people getting instant answers to various
> questions but once the new machinery was installed, customers would
> complain that there weren't hours in the day to get all their work done.
> Service rep's would then advise that productivity would improve with
> better utilization, eg., keeping the expensive cpu 100% busy, eliminate
> interactive work, make people schedule their machine time in advance and
> jostle for position in the queue. Soon a scheduling software industry
> appeared. Accountants saw the opportunity to record and ration machine
> time. Even when the TRS80's, Apples and PC's appeared, nostalgia for
> those ways didn't evaporate, maybe even grew. Human nature to preserve
> the old ways and idiosyncrasies of most fields. It will probably take
> decades for SQL to go away.

As Joe recently reminded us, COBOL hasn't gone away.

AM radio, which was supposed to start going away when I was a teenager, hasn't gone away.

The reptilian nervous system is still present in mammals.

When it comes to cybernetics, nothing ever completely goes away. Or so it seems. Received on Sat May 05 2007 - 19:02:32 CEST

Original text of this message