Re: Constraints and Functional Dependencies

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:26:21 GMT

mAsterdam wrote:
> Yes, a reference (I like the term) is what the (i) defines ...

Not to tout SQL of which I know very little but I believe it or at least some implementations, uses the keyword "REFERENCES". For all I know, the same implementations also support "FOREIGN KEY" phrase. If that's so, I'd be curious to know from SQL experts whether the typical implementations require the latter to reference a "primary key" and if the former doesn't. If that's so I'd be really curious to hear of examples where REFERENCES is superior in practice to "FOREIGN KEY".

p Received on Sat Feb 24 2007 - 18:26:21 CST