Re: Constraints and Functional Dependencies

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:26:51 +0100

http://groups.google.nl/group/comp.databases.theory/tree/browse_frm/thread/49a8420d5421274e/cb4221de81bf66a3?rnum=11&q=Constraints+and+Functional+Dependencies&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fcomp.databases.theory%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F49a8420d5421274e%2F8d9829b9203e3cf2%3Flnk%3Dst%26q%3DConstraints%2Band%2BFunctional%2BDependencies%26rnum%3D1%26#doc_fa1d0708d55a935b

> but I think what Marshall
> defined is what I call a "reference", which seems more general than
> Codd's original foreign key, ie., doesn't exclude the possibility of the
> reference being a key in the referenced table, if the person who
> declares the reference so desires.

Yes, a reference (I like the term) is what the (i) defines when there b is not required to be a key of S. It is not what Marshall said he intended it to define.

> I take it that you want to read
> "foreign key" literally and insist that the reference involve a key
> defined for example, the way Marshall defined a key.

No need. I think it is clear.

> If I read you
> right, that's okay by me but I think "reference" encompasses "foreign
> key" in a way that never diminishes any table a designer who wants to be
> literal declares at the same as it allows the rest of the table definers
> much more leeway.
>
> The term "key" is a bastard in the first place. It seems to have been
> inherited from the times when hardware recognized keys by their physical
> position.

Etymological wars are not my idea of fun. Use RM.key if you need to.

> I think nothing at all should be read into the names.

I think that is an overly structuralist point of view.