Re: Navigation question

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2007 09:54:25 -0800

On Feb 17, 6:48 am, "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 11:04 pm, "Tony D" <tonyisyour..._at_netscape.net> wrote:
>
> > User interface navigation != database navigation. In an SQL database
> > (that darn NB borne in mind) there is no notion of "here", so if there
> > is no notion of "here", there can't be a notion of "there", and there
> > obviously can't be a notion of how to "get" "there" from "here".
>
> I like this observation, and it had not occurred to me to illustrate
> it as such.
>
> One can't navigate in an RDBMS because there is no notion of one /
> being anywhere/ at any point in time. And so equally no possibility of
> ever getting lost in a maze of links.

But one can navigate through a database by way of a DBMS that does have the specification of "join data", right? (Why) would it be a bad thing for a DBMS to have such a specification so that it is able to retrieve data from "elsewhere" without yet another sql statement giving it join information that it does not keep? --dawn Received on Sat Feb 17 2007 - 18:54:25 CET

Original text of this message